Does my district/school/organization qualify to apply for membership?
Focused Education Resources has two types of membership:
- Voting Membership in which all 60 BC School Districts participate and;
- Associate Membership available to registered independent and First Nations schools throughout BC
What services does Focused ED offer?
Focused ED enables school districts and independent schools to harness the power of collective service procurement; access a wide range of privacy, security, technology, and educational resources; engage in professional development, and build collaborative relationships with peers.
Does it cost to become a member?
Yes there is a membership fee that is invoiced annually on July 1st. Fees are based off student FTE.
Does membership provide access to the Zoom License and BC Digital Classroom?
Membership is required to access the education Zoom license and before licensing the BC Digital Classroom. There are separate fees for Zoom and the BC Digital Classroom.
Is my district/school already a member?
Visit the Members Directory page to view a listing of our current members.
How does my school/organization apply to become a member?
What are member contact roles?
Some of the designated contact roles are easy to assign because they match the person’s title. Others are related to the areas of responsibility. While these vary between districts and independent schools some consideration to guide your decisions are:
- Secretary Treasurer
- Educational Software – Often an educator, such as district teacher-librarian, media-specialist, or curriculum/ tech innovation specialist. This person is responsible for selection/support of digital learning resources for classroom instruction (i.e. BC Digital Classroom).
- Operational Software – An IT staff person responsible for implementation and support of enterprise and systems software.
- Learning Resource – Usually an educator who is responsible for selecting learning resources for instruction.
- Procurement – Someone responsible for procurement processes.
- Financial – Finance/Accounting staff responsible for payments/invoicing.
- Professional Learning – An educator responsible for coordinating/facilitating professional learning opportunities.
- Indigenous Education – An educator such as a District Principal of Indigenous Education, Assistant Superintendent, or director with responsibility for the area.
- French Immersion – An educator responsible for delivery of French Language programs.
- Privacy Contact – Might be CIO, IT, Secretary Treasurer, or educator. In a few larger districts, this is a designated title. Responsible for privacy breaches and developing PIAs.
Can we designate two people for the same role?
The member contact database only allows you to designate one person for each role. Please select whichever person you feel is the best fit.
Why does Focused ED need a list of designated member contacts?
Focused ED communicates time-sensitive and important information, such as renewal of the Microsoft license, to our members on a regular basis. We know members are busy, so we try to target communications to the person with decision-making or information-sharing responsibility for a specific activity. This contact information enables us to do that.